Note: The information on this page is being retained for technical and historical reference only. The site is not under active maintenance and may include expired information and outdated links.
Spatial Data Transfer Standard (SDTS)
What is SDTS?
The Spatial Data Transfer Standard, or SDTS, is a robust way of transferring earth-referenced spatial data between dissimilar computer systems with the potential for no information loss. It is a transfer standard that embraces the philosophy of self-contained transfers, i.e. spatial data, attribute, georeferencing, data quality report, data dictionary, and other supporting metadata all included in the transfer.
Purpose of SDTS
The purpose of the SDTS is to promote and facilitate the transfer of digital spatial data between dissimilar computer systems, while preserving information meaning and minimizing the need for information external to the transfer. Implementation of SDTS is of significant interest to users and producers of digital spatial data because of the potential for increased access to and sharing of spatial data, the reduction of information loss in data exchange, the elimination of the duplication of data acquisition, and the increase in the quality and integrity of spatial data. SDTS is neutral, modular, growth-oriented, extensible, and flexible--all characteristics of an "open systems" standard.
The SDTS provides a solution to the problem of spatial data transfer from the conceptual level to the details of physical file encoding. Transfer of spatial data involves modeling spatial data concepts, data structures, and logical and physical file structures. To be useful, the data to be transferred must also be meaningful in terms of data content and data quality. SDTS addresses all of these aspects for both vector and raster data structures.
- TatukGIS has been added to the list of private companies implementing SDTS.
- Collins Software has been added to the list of private companies implementing SDTS.
- Replacement SDTS Data Dictionary/Schema (DDSH) Files are available. Please see the Data Problems page for more information.
- DSpatial has been added to the list of private companies implementing SDTS.
- Updated SDTS Tutorial and Translator Documents Available Plain Text or WordTM (Download the free Microsoft Word Viewer)
- SDTS++ Version 1.5.1 is here
- SDTS News Announcements
- SDTS 7.5' DEMs available at ATDI, MapMart.com, and GeoCommunity
- Attention software developers and vendors supporting SDTS Raster Profile
- Partnership Opportunity
- Data Problems?
- SDTS and GeoTIFF
- SDTS++ Home Page
- What is SDTS?
- Implementing SDTS through profiles
- Federal agencies and Private GIS companies are implementing SDTS
- SDTS Public Domain Software
- Alternate site for downloading BLM translators
- SDTS Data Download Site
- View the SDTS Standard
- SDTS Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
- SDTS Support Software for Programmers
- Users Guides, Workshops/Conferences and Training Materials
- Result of SDTS Implementors' Workshop
- SDTS Topological Vector Profile (TVP) conformance testing
- Opportunity with SDTS Technology Transfer